Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
July 27, 2009
Audio: O'Brien speaks at ACC Kickoff
Tom O'Brien sat down with the print media for about an hour Monday afternoon, and he had plenty of news concerning Wolfpack football. You can listen to most of his comments by clicking on the link.Head coach
Notes from O'Brien's comments:
- He revealed that redshirt junior linebacker Nate Irving had a compound fracture in his left leg, a rib punctured one lung and a few days later they found out he had a separated shoulder. His lung, rib and shoulder are fine, but the leg is a serious concern.
- Redshirt junior receiver Donald Bowens will not be back until mid-October or early November at the earliest. He had surgery to repair an ACL tear in January.
- O'Brien once again confirmed that redshirt freshman quarterback Mike Glennon will play in the first half of the first game of the South Carolina contest to get ready, but he also made it clear that Russell Wilson will be the quarterback.
- In an interesting development, O'Brien said that he did not expect redshirt sophomore quarterback Russell Wilson to be here three more years, and that if Wilson is here as a senior that means his baseball plans have fallen apart.
- O'Brien said that senior cornerback Koyal George is the leading contender to start at corner with Dominique Ellis gone. Sophomore Dwayne Maddox will get first shot at replacing Nate Irving, but if that does not work they move fifth-year senior Ray Michel or sophomore Sterling Lucas out there.
- Fifth-year senior Andy Barbee is the leading contender to start at right guard.
- Overall he expects this team to be much more competitive. Whether that equals wins or losses remains to be seen he said.
- Reaffirmed that running back Toney Baker will apply for a sixth year.