Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
October 12, 2010
Inside the stats: C-USA likes to pass
Each week during the season, we look at some statistics involving individuals and/or teams that we find intriguing. Here is this week's version:
1. Conference USA teams have thrown the ball on 50 percent of their plays from scrimmage this season, the highest percentage of any league. Second is the Big 12, at 48 percent. The league that likes to run it the most? It's a tie between the Big Ten and SEC, with 59 percent of their offensive plays being runs.
2. As a whole, the most productive offensive teams are in the Pac-10, where, on average, a league team puts up 423.5 yards of offense per game. The Big Ten is second (422.4). Last among the leagues is the MAC, at 323.8. 3. Texas A&M leads the nation in average plays per game, at 86.8. Oklahoma (85.0), Buffalo (83.0), Tulsa (80.2) and Troy (80.0) are the only other teams averaging at least 80 per game. The SEC is the only league that doesn't have even one team averaging at least 70 plays.
4. Alabama's loss to South Carolina on Saturday snapped a 19-game winning streak and means that just two teams have winning streaks of at least 10 games. Boise State leads the way at 19 in a row, while Ohio State is second at 12. Two teams have double-digit losing streaks: Western Kentucky (25) and Eastern Michigan (18).
5. Boston College went into the season with a star at running back in Montel Harris, an experienced offensive line and a highly questionable passing attack. Six games into the season, BC is tied for last in the nation with just one rushing TD. Buffalo also has just one rushing TD. Nevada leads the nation with 25 rushing TDs.
6. Four players are in double-figures in rushing TDs and two are quarterbacks. Nevada QB Taylor Martinez leads the nation with 12, while Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada RB Vai Taua and Mississippi State RB Vick Ballard each have 11. Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon, who has 11 TD receptions, is the only other player with double-digit touchdowns.