Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
October 4, 2010
Southern Miss Football Report
Southern Miss Football Report Oct. 3, 2010
Record 4-1, 1-0 C-USA
W, 41-16, Marshall (Carlisle-Faulkner Field at Roberts Stadium, Hattiesburg, Miss./27,518)
Oct. 9 - hosts East Carolina (Carlisle-Faulkner Field at Roberts Stadium/36,000), 6:30 pm [CSS/Matt Stewart, play-by-play; Chuck Oliver, analysis; Allison Williams, sideline]
Player of the Week Nominations
Austin Davis, QB, 6-2, 200, r-Jr., Meridian, Miss.
Davis totaled 182 total offensive yards and four touchdowns responsible for, which included three touchdown runs (6, 7, 1) and one TD pass of 19 yards to Quentin Pierce. Led the Eagles on the game's opening series on a 14-play, 80-yard drive that took 5:14 to play. USM converted all three 3rd down conversions on that drive and registered a success rate of 9-of-12 on third down in the opening half. He completed 10 of his first 13 passes on the team's first three possessions, two of which led to touchdowns. Ended the game 16-of-29 passing for 164 yards and now has thrown a TD pass in 20 of 23 starts. He added 18 yards on 13 carries.
Jamie Collins, LB, 6-3, 231, So., McCall Creek, Miss.
Collins led the team with seven tackles, including five solo stops. Helped the Golden Eagles limit Marshall to just 180 total yards, including just 45 yards on the ground. Was in on seven tackles of Marshall's 51 offensive plays.
Daniel Hrapmann, PK, 5-9, 160, r-Jr., New Orleans, La.
Registered a career-long 51-yard field goal and was 2-for-2 in the contest, also hitting a 24-yard attempt. Has made all nine field goal tries this season and 11-straight dating back to last season. Is a perfect 10-for-10 on extra point tries, including five against Marshall. The 51-yarder was the longest field goal for the Golden Eagles since Britt Barefoot tallied a 51-yard attempt at Tennessee on Sept. 8, 2007.
* Southern Miss tied a Carlisle-Faulkner Field at Roberts Stadium record by extending their home winning streak to 11 games with its victory over Marshall. It ties two other times that this has happened during the 1984-87 and 1998-2000 campaigns.
* The 180 yards surrendered is the second lowest Southern Miss has given up under Fedora. The Golden Eagles improved to 13-0 when they limit opponents to under-100 yards rushing and 12-0 when they hold opponents to less than 20 points.
* It was the fourth time in 31 games under Fedora that the Golden Eagles have held an opponent scoreless over the first 30 minutes. Southern Miss is 4-0 in those contests.
* The Golden Eagles have blocked three punts over the last four weeks and three different players have registered blocks including Deron Wilson, Tim Green and Reggie Hunt.
* TE Johdrick Morris leads the team in reception yards with 206 and is second on the squad in catches with 13.
* Freshman WR Dominque Sullivan collected his first catch of the season against Marshall to become the 17th player to catch a pass for the Golden Eagles this season.
* The Golden Eagles are now 13-2 in Conference USA season openers.
* It was the eighth time in the Fedora era that the Golden Eagles have scored at least 40 points in a contest.
* The 4-1 start for Southern Miss is the best for the program since the 2004 team also started 4-1 to open the year.
* Southern Miss finishes a two-game homestand this week in a crucial C-USA East Division contest against East Carolina. The Golden Eagles lead the series 26-9 overall and are 11-6 in games played against the Pirates in Hattiesburg.