November 14, 2009

Cowboys outpace Redhawks, 86-64

STILLWATER -- The only thing that could stop Oklahoma State from a big win was the officials not showing up.

Or the opponent getting tired of waiting and grabbing lunch.

But, eventually, the game did start -- about 100 minutes late -- and everyone showed up on Mr. Iba's white maple. Then the Cowboys proceeded to take it to the Redhawks, posting a 86-64 win in front of 5,672 fans (11,432 paid) inside Gallagher-Iba Arena.

This game is the first round of the Las Vegas Invitational and apparently the officials for the game thought the game was set for a 7 p.m. start. But the start was dependent of the game time for the OSU-Texas Tech football game. Once that was set, this game was placed for 1:30. But the message was lost somewhere along the way and the fans and teams had to wait until roughly 3:10 for tip-off. The Redhawks were also part of the problem, apparently going to Quizno's for a snack when told of the delay.

Once the game finally started, OSU (1-0) jumped out to a fast start, with James Anderson sinking a three-pointer to get the game started. After a Seattle travel call, Marshall Moses had two nice plays, hitting a 15-footer and following that up with a behind-the-back pass to Ray Penn, who scored a layup. That put OSU up 9-2 four minutes into the game.

The Cowboy defense turned it on early as well, as the Redhawks (0-1) were only 2-of-12 from the field halfway through the first frame. In fact, SU didn't hit a field goal for 8:30 at the 7:39 mark. But that changed, as the Redhawks went on a 7-0 run to cut the score to 36-23 with 2:10 to go.

And if that run wasn't enough, SU literally hit OSU in the teeth -- Roger Franklin's, to be precise. He was apparently hit in the mouth on one play and his left front tooth came out. He smiled to the crowd to show off his new grin, reminding Cowboy fans of Scott Pierce's "Toothless in Seattle" moment at the 1995 Final Four, which was made famous on an Eskimo Joe's shirt. What are the odds that, nearly 15 years later, Franklin ended up going "Toothless against Seattle"?

The second half saw the Cowboys take things over again, enjoying a 49-30 lead with 16 minutes to go. From there, OSU kept a 20-point lead most of the rest of the way, although the Redhawks cut the margin to 10 with 3:50 to play, as the Cowboys hit a six-minute scoring drought. But OSU managed to expand the score before the game's finish.

The Pokes were led on the scoreboard by three Pokes who all managed to collect double-doubles on the day. James Anderson led the way with 22 points and 15 rebounds, while Moses had 17 points and 11 bounds and Obi Muonelo posted 12 points and 11 boards.

...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now!