Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
November 6, 2009
Ever wonder what the playoff matchup's would look like if the playoffs started this weekend? Ever wonder what the state rankings would look like if they solely depended on the amount of power points a team had? Well NJVarsity.com has solved both of these problems for you!
Below is a listing of the playoff matchup's if everything started this weekend. We'll be updating these every week until the official matchup's are announced. Under that, you'll see a listing of the Top 20 teams in the state, completely based on the amount of power points a team currently has. Enjoy!
North 1 Group 1
(8) Wallington at (1) Mountain Lakes
(5) Elmwood Park at (4) Westwood
(7) Hopatcong at (2) Butler
(6) Bogota at (3) Hasbrouck Heights
Biggest winner: Hopatcong jumps into the playoff picture with their win over Boonton, but with 8 games already played, the Chiefs will likely need help to stay in the playoffs.
Biggest drop: Emerson's tough overtime loss to Bogota knocked them out of the playoffs for now, and now they will have to rely on a win against #3 seed Hasbrouck Heights this coming weekend to get back into the playoffs.
North 1 Group 2
(8) Ramsey at (1) Lenape Valley
(5) Pequannock at (4) Lodi
(7) Glen Rock at (2) West Essex
(6) Pascack Hills at (3) River Dell
Biggest winner: West Essex made a huge Power Point jump by defeating previously undefeated Group IV Columbia.
Biggest drop: Ramsey slipped to the 8th spot, however they are the only school in the top eight seeds to have a game this weekend that will still determine playoff seeding. And a win at 6-1 Old Tappan would definitely give them a nice boost.
North 1 Group 3
(8) Paramus at (1) Tenafly
(5) Lakeland Regional at (4) Pascack Valley
(7) Old Tappan at (2) Wayne Hills
(6) Ramapo at (3) Sparta
Biggest winner: Ramapo's victory over previously undefeated Pascack Valley definitely gave the Raiders a nice Power Point boost.
Biggest drop: Wayne Valley's loss to DePaul not only knocked the Indians back to .500, it also knocked them out of the playoffs.
North 1 Group 4
(8) North Bergen at (1) Roxbury
(5) Bloomfield at (4) Fair Lawn
(7) East Orange at (2) Passaic Tech
(6) Passaic at (3) Ridgewood
Biggest winner: Definitely Bloomfield, as their win over Livingston shot them up all the way to the #5 seed.
Biggest drop: For now it's West Orange, because their loss to Irvington dropped them to 3-4 and out of the playoffs. However, a win at Livingston this weekend will move the Mountaineers right back into the top eight.
North 2 Group 1
(8) Glen Ridge at (1) Secaucus
(5) Rutherford at (4) Dayton Regional
(7) Becton at (2) Cedar Grove
(6) New Providence at (3) Belvidere
Biggest winner: Secaucus steamrolled their way to the top spot with their convincing win against St. Mary's-Rutherford.
Biggest drop: Although Rutherford took care of business with their victory over Englewood, they still dropped two spots and lost a home game in the process.
North 2 Group 2
(8) Ridgefield Park at (1) Summit
(5) Madison at (4) Governor Livingston
(7) Chatham at (2) Caldwell
(6) Orange at (3) Lincoln
Biggest winner: Governor Livingston moved into the top four spots with their win at Cranford.
Biggest drop: Madison's loss to Lenape Valley only dropped them one spot, but that spot might cost them a home game in the first round.
North 2 Group 3
(8) Parsippany Hills at (1) Irvington
(5) Nutley at (4) Morristown
(7) Newark West Side at (2) West Morris Central
(6) Somerville at (3) Passaic Valley
Biggest winner: Somerville solidified their spot in the playoffs, and also moved up to spots, with their win against Delaware Valley.
Biggest drop: Although this group is solid with the top 8 spots already clinched, Parsippany Hills' loss to High Point dropped them to the 8th spot, which results in a likely trip to Irvington in the first round.
North 2 Group 4
(8) Linden at (1) Union
(5) Phillipsburg at (4) Ridge
(7) Westfield at (2) Bridgewater-Raritan
(6) Piscataway at (3) Columbia
Biggest winner: Even though they had a bye week, it's Woodbridge, because now with a win against J.P. Stevens the chances are high that they'll be heading to the playoffs.
Biggest drop Once again it's Linden. With their third straight loss, this time to Westfield, the Tigers have placed themselves in a situation where they may have to win at Immaculata in order to make the playoffs.
Central Group 1
(8) Burlington City at (1) Metuchen
(5) Brearley Regional at (4) South River
(7) Florence at (2) Highland Park
(6) Spotswood at (3) Asbury Park
Biggest winner: By winning two straight, Burlington City finds itself in the 8th spot. However, a win against Delran this weekend is still likely a must.
Biggest drop: Brearley's loss to Roselle dropped the Bears two spots, and out of a home game in the first round.
Central Group 2
(8) Johnson Regional at (1) Rumson-Fair Haven
(5) New Brunswick at (4) Manasquan
(7) Long Branch at (2) Matawan
(6) Keyport at (3) Raritan
Biggest winner: Matawan's win over Long Branch sets them up for a likely #1 seed if they can win against a good Bishop Ahr team this weekend.
Biggest drop: A week after being the biggest winner, New Brunswick dropped two spots after their loss to Monroe. However, a playoff spot is solidified.
Central Group 3
(8) West Windsor-Plainsboro North at (1) Middletown South
(5) Monroe at (4) Ocean Township
(7) Neptune at (2) Lawrence
(6) Steinert at (3) Princeton
Biggest winner: Monroe and WWPN both had big wins which ironically may set up a game between the two in the first round.
Biggest drop: Princeton's loss to Notre Dame dropped them two spots to the 5th seed, and a possible road trip to Ocean Township.
Central Group 4
(8) Brick Memorial/Old Bridge/North Brunswick/Jackson/or Colts Neck at (1) Sayreville
(5) East Brunswick at (4) West Windsor-Plainsboro South
(7) Middletown North at (2) Hunterdon Central
(6) Montgomery at (3) Howell
Biggest winner: WWPS's win over Steinert moved up two spots and gives them a possible home game in the first round.
Biggest drop: Does anyone want the last spot in this group? Five schools are 3-4, so who will step up and actually grab it? One possibility is that the winner of North Brunswick/Colts Neck, who are both 3-4, grabs the playoff spot, because the other three 3-4 schools all have tough tests waiting for them.
South Group 1
(8) Palmyra at (1) Glassboro
(5) Haddon Heights at (4) Penns Grove
(7) Schalick at (2) Woodbury
(6) Pennsville at (3) Paulsboro
Biggest winner: Despite not actually moving up at all, Penns Grove's win over Glassboro suddenly made them a title contender.
Biggest drop: Haddon Township's current two game losing streak likely ended their playoff dreams.
South Group 2
(8) Camden Wilson at (1) Delsea
(5) Bridgeton at (4) Cinnaminson
(7) Buena at (2) West Deptford
(6) Willingboro at (3) Haddonfield
Biggest winner: Wins by Willingboro and Camden Wilson earned both schools a playoff berth.
Biggest drop: Losses by Woodstown and Overbrook ended any hopes either had of making the playoffs.
South Group 3
(8) Pemberton at (1) Hammonton
(5) Lacey at (4) Seneca
(7) Highland Regional at (2) Timber Creek
(6) Moorestown at (3) Burlington Township
Biggest winner: Lacey's 40-0 win at Group 4 Middletown North definitely solidified their playoff position, and also showed everyone else in the Group that they won't be an easy out.
Biggest drop: Not that Highland Regional was expected to defeat Delsea, but the loss definitely puts them in a tough spot. A win by Manchester Township, currently in the 9th spot, this weekend, would likely knock the Tartans out of the playoffs.
South Group 4
(8) Eastern at (1) Cherokee
(5) Toms River North at (4) Williamstown
(7) Shawnee at (2) Toms River East
(6) Washington Township at (3) Egg Harbor Township
Biggest winner: Toms River North solidified itself with their victory over Piscataway at home.
Biggest drop: Eastern's loss to #1 seed Cherokee may have put them in a must win situation this weekend against dangerous Winslow Township. A loss by Eastern, may bring the winner of the Absegami/Mainland Regional game into the playoffs, or Southern Regional if they're able to upset Howell.
Non-Public Group 1
(4) Immaculate Conception at (1) Paterson Catholic
(3) St. Mary's-Rutherford at (2) St. Anthony's
Biggest winner: There is still a battle waging on for the 2nd seed, and St. Anthony's did their part with a victory over Ferris.
Biggest drop: St. Mary's could've made a huge jump with a win against Secaucus, but instead lost the game 58-7.
Non-Public Group 2
(1) St. Joseph's-Hammonton - BYE
(4) Pingry at (3) Morris Catholic
(5) Dwight-Englewood at (2) Gloucester Catholic
Biggest winner: Dwight-Englewood was facing a must win game against Horace Mann-NY in order to make the playoffs, and got it.
Biggest drop: While Dwight-Englewood got the must win, Queen of Peace stumbled against Ridgefield Park and will not be joining the dance.
Non-Public Group 3
(8) Bishop Ahr at (1) Pope John
(5) Bishop Eustace at (4) Immaculata
(7) Delbarton at (2) St. Joseph's-Montvale
(6) Holy Spirit at (3) DePaul
Biggest winner: Holy Spirit got a nice boost with their win over Buena, and can even get a nicer one this weekend if they can pull out the win against undefeated Group 4 St. Augustine's Prep.
Biggest drop: Even though they won, Delbarton still dropped to the 7th spot, and may drop even further since they have already played their allotted 8 games before the cutoff.
Non-Public Group 4
(8) Red Bank Catholic at (1) Notre Dame
(5) Bergen Catholic at (4) Paul VI
(7) St. Augustine's Prep at (2) Don Bosco Prep
(6) St. Peter's Prep at (3) Seton Hall Prep
Biggest winner: Paul VI's win moved them into a possible home game, and a victory against Bishop Eustace this weekend would pretty much solidify that.
Biggest drop: St. Augustine's Prep actually dropped a spot after their win over Pleasantville, but the Hermits can still get a big boost with a win over Holy Spirit this weekend. However, a loss to Holy Spirit may send them to Bosco in the first round.
NJVarsity.com Power Point Top 20
1. (3) Notre Dame (172)
2. (2) Pope John (166)
3. (4) Don Bosco Prep (160)
4. (3) Sayreville (158)
5. (1) Middletown South (155)
6. (6) Delsea (154)
7. (7) Tenafly (152)
(13) Mountain Lakes (152)
8. (9) Wayne Hills (151)
9. (10) Paterson Catholic (149)
(14) Lenape Valley (149)
10. (16) Roxbury (148)
11. (5) Hunterdon Central (146)
12. (12) Seton Hall Prep (145)
13. (11) St. Joseph's-Montvale (142)
14. (15) Cherokee (141)
15. (13) Summit (135)
16. (20) Paul VI (133)
17. (20) DePaul (132)
18. (8) Toms River East (131)
19. (11) Howell (130)
(17) Rumson-Fair Haven (130)
(NR) Secaucus (130)
20. (18) Sparta (129)
(NR) Cedar Grove (129)